This is where we will make our first posts. It is not necessary to post four times in this first posting week, but feel free to respond to other person's posts.
In Week One, we are all about introductions and an intro to research. Introductions are about who we are and where we come from. Keep in mind, the diversity of folks in this class. Some may be in our MAE (Master in Art Education) program. Others may be in other Masters or PhD programs. Some of you may know each other, and others may be brand new to Visual Studies, the MAE or PhD Program or online graduate courses.
1. How about each of us introducing ourselves in this first week blog post. Tell us a few things about yourself--where you're originally from, where you went to school, where and what you teach, if you don't teach, what you currently do, if you make art, have a family, where you are in the MAE, or in other programs, and anything else you'd like to share.
2. Go to the back of the Wientraub book to Addendum (p. 321). There is a survey there. Take a look at that and start to think about it. We will be responding to it in Week Two. But, you may want to start thinking about where you are in terms of answers to it.
It will be under Week Two where you will find the reading assignments for next week. Our reading assignments will be identical to the syllabus. We are following it. If you fall behind, always post late posts in the current week. Just remind us.
(This is the reading assignment for Week Two: Weintraub, Linda To life! Eco art in pursuit of a sustainable planet: Complete the Personal Survey on pp. 321-322. Read: Preface; Art Genres; Art Strategies; Eco Issues; Eco Approaches; Introduction; Eco Art Is; Eco Art Is Not (pp. xliii to 18) AND Weintraub, Linda To life! Eco art in pursuit of a sustainable planet: Read: Introduction; Eco Art Themes; Eco Art Aesthetics; Eco Art Materials (pp. 19-52))
Also, you might want to create your remarks/posts in Microsoft Word and copy and paste them into the blog. Sometimes, if you write a really long post, it won't upload and you can lose your text. If that happens, go back and copy it all to save it, if possible. Just a suggestion for new comers to blogging and posting.
We can post images. I have made everyone an author which means you can download 300K or smaller pics.
Other than that, share your introductions, kick back, breathe; as we begin a semester of inquiry into research of art making and writing. It's only Week Two where I have added 30 pages. If you are a slower reader, feel free to read ahead as well.
Let me be the first to introduce myself. Prior to pursuing a PhD degree from 1989-96, I was an elementary art teacher for nine years. I taught at one time 780 kids a week at three schools with no art rooms. Like many of you, while teaching, I pursued and finished a Masters degree. I took a summer graduate oil painting class where the professor said about my first painting which was looking down a staircase from the main door of a second floor flat: “If this is any indication of what you are capable of, you need to drop this class.” I didn’t drop. I ended up with an A. But, I recall how difficult it was to then be a graduate student in studio classes. I hadn’t painted in years. I remember making wood collages from the scraps I would collect at my dad's carpenter shop. I wanted to know more about teaching so I thought the PhD would be the route. I spent seven years learning about making art, social justice and outreach in Madison, WI. And, writing a dissertation. Since 1996, I have been teaching at Tech. I was born and raised in Manitowoc, WI, a historic aluminum capital in the Midwest. Mirro Aluminum produced kitchen cook wear; the Aluminum Specialty made those aluminum Xmas trees in the 50s and 60s. My hometown located on Lake Michigan was also a shipping port with large shipyards. Raised white and working class, I never imagined that college was a possibility. Most of my friends in the 70s were tracked to vocations rather than college. They ended up in wiener (sausage) plants, Mirro, and other assorted factories. Their experiences of schooling were rough and disconnected as were some of mine. I like to learn and read and watch. I noticed how white working class kids were treated differently than middle class kids. Very few working kids ever thought of themselves as learners or had time to—many of us had jobs after school.
ReplyDeleteSo, I make art about growing up; whether it’s what it was like growing up gay, or making art about my working class roots or being white--my hometown, aunts, uncles, my parents; cousins. I see my art, my teaching and my writing as acts of hospitality in a way. I learned about the importance of hospitality from my parents. Our house was a hub for visitors—especially our kitchen. Each of my parents had ten and fourteen siblings; so, lots of uncles, aunts and cousins. I was born into white working class communities that shared talent and skill and I continue to value many working class environs, even though I am considered middle class by peers and family. This is what I make art about and mainly write about.
The next goal or chapter in my life in to create and develop a Workers Center, probably in Milwaukee, WI, that honors the lives and histories of working class people. I’m in the process of beginning to look for storefronts, where the center is on the first floor, and my studio and living area is on the second floor. I hope to develop it into a non-profit and set up artist residencies and connect with the city’s working neighborhoods and residents.
Favorite artists of mine that come to mind (and by that I mean I looked around my books and my home): Dead: David Wojnarowicz, photographer Peter Hujar, Living: painter Lahib Jaddo, photographer John Dugdale, Madison, WI painter Helen Klebesadel, French gay camp artists Pierre et Gilles, painter Patssi Valdez, the Guerrilla Girls, writer Sherman Alexie, and ceremonial artist Donna Henes. That’s a sampling.
So, do you struggle to insert art making into your life? (Keep in mind that I also write and consider writing as artful.) If you do, you are not alone. I notice that when I stop making art (and writing), I feel less when I teach--as if something is missing in my soul.
I am a big fan of Wojnarowicz, as I once told you. Wish he was still here.
DeleteOkay, so I tried to post a longer post and the limit is 4,096 characters per post. So, if you like to write keep in mind you may have to split up posts. Here's the remainder of my post...
ReplyDeleteIf you have one, insert an image of something you made recently, an idea or sketch or posts about ambitions or ideas you have. You can see that I have added an Introduction and Art post. If no art, just post your introduction here. Or post an address where we can see something.
Other than that, share your introductions, kick back, breathe; as we begin a semester of inquiry into research of art making and writing.
I found that out for Future's class. I had to cut about 1/3 of what I wrote out to get it to post.
DeleteLooking forward to another one of your classes, though I am David, not Maryanne! Multiple gmail accounts are a mess, so I'm using hers.
Greetings and salutations!
ReplyDeleteI am currently a doctoral student with a combined concentration in Critical Theory and Artistic Practice. I completed my MFA degree at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston at Tufts University in 2016. For my BFA degree, I attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. In between my degrees I worked for a non-profit mobile arts organization in the greater Los Angeles area. Thus, Lubbock has been a bit like coming home for me, as I am originally from Iowa City, Iowa. Growing up in Iowa, I had very little exposure to the arts. However, a major early influence for me was the work of Keith Haring. His artwork hung in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, and by some odd coincidence he had painted a mural in my elementary school. When I think about my trajectory as a thinker and artist, my experience of comprehending his work on diverse levels over the years is profound.
At present, I am on track to lead the Survey of Modern Art History class next fall (late 18th – 21st century). Although I have taught only studio classes in the past, I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching art history and the process of becoming an art practitioner/scholar as a whole. The times that I am able to help my students make meaningful connections in this period of art history are incredibly fulfilling to me.
In my work as a conceptual artist, I deploy an integrated approach to research and material exploration. My current studio practice incorporates empirical observations and academic research of cultural history/memory with strategic conceptualization, which is in turn implemented through the use of applied design. Specifically, I am interested in using designed objects (for example, furniture design) to help individuals or groups with conflicting beliefs interact in a more positive manner. This is accomplished through using spatial, aesthetic, and conscious stimulation to decrease instinctive or irrational fear sensations and assumptive tendencies.
I am now in the second semester of my first year in the PhD program at Texas Tech. So far, I have benefitted greatly from my FADP studies and am quite enjoying my life in Lubbock. I have a small dog that has been my companion for the last eight years who is also enjoying the change of scenery. Overall, I am overjoyed to be here and am very excited about the course material in this class!
Hi Sylvia. DAVID Mesple' here, struggling with social media again.
DeleteHow cool that Keith Haring ventured to Iowa just to paint a mural for you to look at. I, too, am interested in conflicting belief systems. I hoped that my art would also create dialog between those with different beliefs. I want you to send me images of your new work, assuming your studies permit that happening. It's hard for us practicing artists to get into the studio with all the academics we must contend with. I think you will get a lot out of this class that will apply to your work.
Hi David!
DeleteSure thing, I will send documentation of my work your way once it transitions from thoughts to materials. Feel free to do the same! I always enjoy our conversations in class, but sadly have yet to see much of your work.
At any rate, I'm very exited about this class, and definitely think I will get a lot out of it!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile in Lubbock Texas…
ReplyDeleteMy name is Marc Watson, and I don’t really like to claim I am from anywhere. I have been in Lubbock since 99, and prior lived mostly in El Paso with some stents in Austin. I consider my upbringing to be mostly in a blend of communities from Mexican American Roman Catholic to Japanese Immigrant First Generations to Austrian/German blood line and heritage. I am a product of these yet I am also none of them for various reasons.
I went to undergrad at Texas Tech receiving my BFA in Studio Painting secondary Drawing. I took a little time off spending a few years running my own mural business. After successfully painting over 25,000 square feet of Lubbock I returned to Grad School and spent a few years on an MFA in Painting. I left short for personal reasons and spent a few years in retail. I exhibited in major juried art exhibits such as the Hunting Art Prize Show but became disheartened with the fine art world. I became an international sticker graffiti artist doing shows all over the world. The graffiti work would end up spurring an old love for storytelling and comic creation. I began to spend my free time off of work creating my first book. Within a year I had health issues that nearly took my life followed by a battle with cancer. I took it as a sign to quit my job. It was huge because I had been working 90 hours a week for several months managing a store of 70 employees and a management team training beneath me. Overnight I became a part time catchall for another company and was finally able to create. I worked part time till my book started selling and then I quit there as well to focus on creating full time. I recently decided it was time to earn a Master in Art Education as a method to assist in my publications. But why is this?
I am currently in my final semester in MAE and my professional project is the key to why I am doing all that I am. I am creating a sample chapter (or standalone issue) to teach one-point perspective to foundation students whether in high school or undergraduate courses. It will be part of a larger series to act as a teaching tool to introduce the basic concepts and rules in a quick, efficient, and cheap way freeing up time for the instructors to spend more one on one time with the students.
Comic creation has become an encompassing lifestyle. This weekend I will be exhibiting my books and illustrations at North Texas Comic Con in Dallas. Beyond my MAE work I am working on 3 current book series, manage my online communities, offer webinars, and assist the Lubbock-Con communities aspiring artists.
My worst enemy is the same as many of yours…. Time and money. There is never enough of either. I am not talking about for lavish things either. I am saying I truly now appreciate the time we have and I don’t want to waste a moment of it.
To see a glimpse of what I do with my work you can select any of these:
Website: http://www.meteorsnmilk.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/meteorsnmilk
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/meteorsnmilk
Tumblr: http://meteorsnmilk.tumblr.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/meteorsnmilk
David here. Maybe your worst enemy is the fickle nature of the art world which makes us believe that we must have the money in order to make the time to make the art. I am paying very little attention to the art world right now. It is in upheaval and there is no value in trying to figure it out, Just do what you want to do and you will be a success (unless you measure using the Art World Scale).
DeleteHi Marc, I too had my battle with the C word. At age 41 I was diagnosed with cancer. It sounds like you are moving forward and I am happy to hear you haven't slowed down. Looking forward to hearing more during the semester.. All the best. Kelly
DeleteHello All,
ReplyDeleteI am Niloofar. I study my second year of the Ph.D. program in Fine Arts: Critical Studies and Artistic Practice. I studied my Masters in Fine Arts as well, at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts with a painting concentration. I got my BA in painting from Tehran University of Art. I also studied Graphic Design in high school.
Although I am a painter, I like reading and writing. So in the program at TTU, I focus on my research and not my studio practice. My research topic is about the issues around modernity in the Iranian visual arts. I also like the theme of modernity as a global matter.
I'm a nerd, and a workaholic. I spend most of my time reading, painting, and working...I also love listening to music, teaching, and doing social works.
I am looking forward to our class!
Best
Hi Niloofar. David here, using my wife's gmail since mine isn't compatible for reasons only a Capitalist could explain (I'm not).
DeleteYou are not a nerd! You've seen my tee-shirt that says, "Nerd? I prefer the term Intellectual Badass". That's you!
Greetings Niloofar, it was interesting to read your introduction and your background. I wonder if we would get to see any of your works? I am curious and love learning new things. All the best, Kelly.
DeleteGreetings,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Raha. I am in my first year of Ph.D. in Fine arts. I received my BA from Tehran University of Art in Cinema, Filmmaking. Because I had concentrated on video editing, after graduating I started work in a film studio as an assistance. But I found my interest in sound design and I focused on sound design in film. Finally, I could introduce myself as the first Iranian female sound designer by working on the sounds of different films. In order to improve my ability in the sound area and because I always thirsty to learn new things especially in the sound field, I came to United State to study sound design. I took my master degree in sound design from Savannah College of Art and Design on 2015. I have experienced designing sound for film and video around one year in Los Angeles but I got to the point that I need to learn deeply about art, philosophy of art, and the world beyond the technical parts. Although I have more experiences in practical part, I love theory and I believe I need to acquire knowledge in both. This is why I am here.
My research is about female voice in visual art specifically female voice in film and video.
I am excited about this class and looking forward to it.
Hello Raha! Nice to have another class with you, especially one that will benefit us both with our own research journeys. (No Freudian ideologies here!) I made some experimental audio art that was well-received, and am fascinated with acoustics.
DeleteHello all,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kelly Sanchez and I am currently a graduate student taking graduate and undergraduate courses at TTU. I take undergraduate courses to complete my pre-requisites for the nursing program and if all goes well I will take home my MA in Interdisciplinary Studies as well. I’ve always been inquisitive about WS therefore I am taking courses for a certificate in WS, which will only enhance my degree in the nursing field. I enjoy WS courses so much it seems I am tentatively taking them whenever they are offered and have tossed around the idea of possibly changing my graduate major. I do not teach however I am not ruling that option out either. At the moment, I am a stay at home mother of 2-year-old twins and take online courses. Between classes and boot camp potty-training staying busy is putting it mildly. My oldest daughter who is 25 years old will be graduating this spring with a BS in computer science engineering and I am gushing with pride. This year Feb 2016 I was diagnosed with Anal Cancer, I successfully completed chemo and radiation and I am happy to report that I am currently in remission. During this time I was enrolled in this class but with all the devastation and crippling fear I withdrew from the course. So am attempting this course once again while I am in remission, the first two years are the most critical and I am trying to put in as much hours as I can.
What constitutes my identity and the interactions that sustain my life are being a mother, my strength during adversity, my eagerness to learn, give and help others. I have a one twin with congenital heart defects, her willingness to live and thrive pushes me to no end. I find energy and vigor in others when I see random acts of kindness, when I see someone battle a disease and win, this gives me strength. I thrive on others being good to one another, for no reason at all other than for the sake of doing good. My willingness to learn and explore academically represents my identity as well. Based upon my life experiences I believe I have a lot to offer anyone on a personal or academic level.
I am taking this course as a credit to complete my certificate in Women’s Studies, there is art in humanism/feminism and I believe we are living in a time where art is physically all around us. I am excited on completing this course and finishing what I started. All the best, Kelly.
I am glad you are in remission. My wife worked in the medical field for 35 years as a surgical technologist. She was working at TTU's University Medical Center in the Endoscopy department until she severely broke her foot at the Lubbock Arboretum. She fell into a hidden hole, and the state of Texas has laws that make it immune from liability unless they were aware of a danger before-hand and were negligent in addressing it. But the NEXT person who breaks their foot there will be covered! Took her a full year to recover.
DeleteHang in there!
Sorry to hear about your wife and this hidden hole, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the state would make your wife the liable party. I am happy to hear she is recovered, it is a slow process but I got a feeling she's in good hands..All the best, Kelly
DeleteHi, this is DAVID Mesple'. My computer is so clogged with my own online teaching stuff that I have decided to use my wife's computer to take this course. She is the attractive woman in the icon. And, as is typical, my entire first post vanished mysteriously, so I am starting over.
ReplyDeleteI have technically completed all of my PhD coursework, short of my Quals and Dissertation, but am, again, taking the courses that I think are relevant to my research, this being one of them. I received my Masters degree in 1977 and began my college teaching career in 1981 at the University of Colorado. I eventually became the Chair of Fine Art and Art Education at Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, where I continued to formulate ideas and theories about ideation and creativity. I stepped down to return to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level. I decided to get my Interdisciplinary PhD here at TTU where have supplemented my FADP requirements with Neuroscience, Psychology, extra Philosophy and Perception courses, and Music Seminars. My interests are varied, but my studies focus on ideation, creativity, and cognition. I will be continuing my Psych research and am hoping to get into the CU Boulder Neuroimaging Laboratory to work with a professor who is really interested in the minds of artists.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, naively believing I was living the average American life, surrounded by peoples of all races, ethnicities, orientations, and religions. In this hyper-diverse environment, I met all kinds of people. I had conversations with the female impersonators outside of Finocchio's and thought they were just regular folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XStbonys-8o
My father was a Political Science professor at Stanford (where I lived as a child) and San Francisco State. Then he became a politician. He was really good at it. I met many important leaders as a kid. Unfortunately he was a miserable father and husband, so my adult role model was my mother, who had post-graduate degrees in music and was very arts-aware. I roamed big museums, climbed on Rodin sculptures, saw Rembrandts and Egyptian mummies, saw live performances by world-famous singers, actors, and entertainers, just like all Americans did!
I have long since understood that I lived an atypical magical life. Without any intentions, I have met more famous people than most. IIdentity-wise, I see myself as merely the sum of my thoughts and feelings. That's it. Lubbock is no San Francisco, and learning about the diversity I grew up with has been somewhat underwhelming, except when I study with people like Ed who actually experienced it in their own lives.
My wife and I have 5 children and 4 grandchildren. Our oldest son is facing a kidney transplant and this has caused some real concerns for us. But we are committed to the well-being of our family, even in hard times. My father's career has made me very aware of the political climate we are currently in, and we have concerns for our own children and grandchildren, gay and straight and transgender. Perhaps it is my upbringing that makes me so accepting of different lifestyles compared to most people my age. Or maybe I am just evolving as fast as the world is supposed to?
I have had no time for much more than teaching and studying for the last 3 years. I have managed to squeeze in 2 concerts, and make some artwork, but I typically am working 80+ hours per week in those endeavors. My hobbies are building guitars and collecting rare plants ("specimen gardening"). I have 100+ different kinds of trees growing on my property.
Post marker.
ReplyDelete