Monday, May 8, 2017

Weeks 16: May 4-9 (Late posts)

Week 16: May 4-9: We will use this week to post any catch-up posts from past weeks. You may have until May 19th to post any late posts under this week, even though it states May 9th which is the official last day of class/teaching. Notice that I have extended this due date to May 19th, for any of you who need time to read and catchup. Grades for this course are due May 22nd at noon.  

31 comments:

  1. Post any late posts under here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late Post - Week 15 #1
      These artists made me really reflect on the project I am doing in documenting the transformation of the garden spaces. Initially when i started the projects I thought i was just documenting the progress with cause and affects including of surrounding environment. The inclusion of social media (blogging) revealed to me something more. By being able to capture in the moment and then returning to it later took me away from a single point of view and led me to reinterpret my experience. By selecting which photos i would use and how i wanted to tell the story i began making connections and how the perceptions we have affect the internal. Much like the artists here the work became a self discovery through the observation of the interactions and staging around us. I continue to explore this nature and view the usage of technology as more than just a trendy functional tool but also as a gateway to myself on a deeper level.

      Delete
    2. Late Post - Week 15 #2
      The idea of creating these worlds hit close to home in a struggle I have had in my place among the comic community. These artists each create worlds in a way that is not typical of the expected of the norm and yet it works. We could easily argue that the media is being used in inventive ways or that it is just this doing that but i realized something through these works. A world was created regardless of the interpretation. To the artist and those that appreciate the created world there is no reason to critique or pay too much attention to the hows and whats of the craft behind the work. That isn't the point. Now this is different than how it ma be important to the artist in the creative process but the end result is not to be concerned with it. I realized this because i have battled many arguments on how comics should look or should be created. Why is there a standard and why is one respected more than another? I finally realized that the bias came from groups of focused vision and they were not the ones to embrace the worlds i created anyway. If i create for myself and acknowledge those that will embrace my world I see that the medium process i choose is the vehicle that helps the communication flow. That medium could be anything but the consistency is a key function. I realized from these posts that my work is to be appreciated more strongly as the books for now and through story telling. I may have a strong image here or there that can easily stand on its own but that is not as important as the worlds i created through sequential and story telling. I found a new appreciation of the creation of worlds I had not considered before.

      Delete
    3. Late Post - Week 15 #3
      Rolando Shaw was an entry that I respect and had not seen coming. I knew him personally and actually had the privilege as working as his assistant in the woodshop for a year. The reason I appreciate this entry so much is because teachers come in all forms and the are not always the ones that are by profession a teacher. Ro is and always will be a teacher for those willing to learn. He will invest so much time to show how to do something not a quick an easy way but how to do it with pride and soul to reach an end product that is breath taking. I remember resurfacing the wood shop tables. Most people would have thrown down resin,maybe attempted to even it out, and then sanded the edges when cured but call it a day. Instead it took weeks. We sanded away the old resin and sanded the wood while retensioning the tension bolts. We then did thin layers of resin applied like a faux finish to create no bubbles, streaks, or uneveness. Each layer was wetsanded and polished. One day I forgot that step and applied resin. The bubbles appeared. We talked about how the beauty in things has to be respected at each step of the process and that even the smallest neglect can leave permanent reminders. I asked if once it was cured we should sand past the player or strip and start over. Ro responded with a neither and to leave it because it stood as a great exampling of the learning process. When the next resurfacing happens that student may learn form it as well. He is a great teacher and it really showed me to appreciate that teaching comes from all around us and not simply those designated as teachers.

      Delete
    4. Late Post - Week 15 #4
      The one that really struck a cord with me was Corina Carmona's Shift Mural. I have gotten to know Corina a bit and about the community bonding that went into the creation of this work. I agree that I could see many more books exploring the stories behind the artists and the bridge into education because I know this is a truly strong example of this. It makes me want to explore the names of the artists I am less familiar with as I can strongly sense there is great substance behind those artists as well. I look at works like those from Catherine Sherwood and Dawna Sutton and I see a snip of story telling that leaves me developing ideas of the world around the piece. I want to learn more of these creators and have a better view of the worlds they create. I think the gallery is a brilliant conclusion to the book as it is visually the dot dot dot ending leaving the interpretation up to the reader to where we should explore next and that this is only a selection and there is no end. Junction may have ended but that doesnt mean the artists affected by it have and the experiences still grow. It is a beautiful ending and i wish more ended just like this...

      Delete
  2. Late Post - Week 14

    It was soothing to read Robert Rynearson's "Following Your Bliss." I found it insightful that it addressed the issue of capability of following one's bliss due to extrinsic factors, and I found it validating to my work as the sole artist in a family of scientists. I could definitely relate to going through identity diffusion (I've never heard of that concept but it was very interesting!); ultimately for me it came down to self love and acceptance. Still, these feelings hinged on a self-proven certainty that I was a well-intentioned human being despite the devalued status of art in my culture. Once I realized that the work of artists plays a valuable role in society (that's an understatement!) I was able to enjoy the process like Rynearson. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that doing work I'm passionate about will always have the greatest impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late Post - Week 14

    Shannon Walton's words towards the end of her essay touched my heart. When I think about what makes education impactful and meaningful in students' lives, I too think the presence of role models is extremely important.

    Walton writes: "There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t hear at least one student degrade or talk down another student, intentionally and sometimes unintentionally. This is usually where my instincts kick in. I get this overwhelming feeling of obligation to teach my students, especially my young women, how important they are and that they are worth more than what others think of them, or even what they think of themselves."

    I often find myself overthinking situations in life, but what I have realized is that having a strong moral compass is crucial to making a difference under any circumstances. I've been told that I'm sensitive, but I think this allows for empathetic interactions that are so needed in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late Post- Week 14
      Sylvia, I strongly agree with you about sensitivity and “empathetic interaction”. I guess I have the same experience as you have and I think if I filter myself and fight to myself to not be a sensitive person, I will loss the ability to see the world with empathetic lens. This is part of feminine characteristics through which we can see the very basic things that links people together; what keep us to encourage supports for wars. I think as a teacher I need to understand my students through this lens and connect with them as Shannon tries to do by showing the value and importance of her students.

      Delete
  4. Late Post - Week 14

    Social landscapes...
    I love moments when I come to a new understanding and appreciation to an approach in language. For me, I used to think that "I" language was selfish in contrast the the "inclusive" or "universal" "we". After reading the intro to Ch. 3 I could no longer ignore the fact that using the word "we" leads to the formation of presumptions. I was impressed by the focus on the individual in this sense.

    Related to the issues of assumptive stereotypes, I was thinking earlier that no one can be immediately aware of the total complexity of another individual; all I can do is my best, and a big part of that is being receptive to feedback and learning from experiences. Being from the Midwest, I will now proceed to consider the implications of referring to my students as "you guys"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late Post - Week 14

    I thought Shawn Knuckles' essay was absolutely fascinating. The way he interpreted the sequence of events, entities, vices, and patterns in his life was extraordinary and truly compelling. I hold the belief (based on personal experience) that a meandering journey is the most informative, and results in the most intentional pursuit of one's life. In this sense, Knuckle's embrace of deliberate living and rejection of complacency resonates with me quite a bit. I think a lot about the effects of capitalism on the environment and on the nature human life. In addition to the effects of cheap energy on the ecosystem and the emotional destitute that technology can induce, commodity culture encourages a vicious cycle of producing disposable merchandise and "upgrading", which furthers apathy and synthetic happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late Post - Week 15

    I thought David Bondt's Door project communicated a thoughtful concept effectively. I liked how he provided his definition of community at the beginning of his abstract, where he emphasized the negative impact of exclusivity (i.e. the "primal desire to belong". Being a community project, I appreciated how he sought feedback to affirm his project's concept. I enjoyed seeing documentation of the various doors. In flipping through the examples, I noticed that they appeared to serve as vehicles for compassion and understanding among individuals and groups (including the viewer), which is one of the things I find so significant about collaborative art. Overall I thought this was a well-developed project that met its aims sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Week 15 - Late Post

    The quote from James Watkins regarding his philosophy of teaching was humbling. I am in agreement with the idea that the last thing education should do is service the teacher's ego. I may have mentioned this before in a post, but I consider asking questions in an open-ended manner as a social gift that is vital to the maintenance of a healthy community. During my BFA and MFA education, I witnessed plenty of critiques that focused solely on negative criticism. Now that I have transitioned to the role of teacher I have made it a point to always offer feedback that acknowledges aspects of the work that are successful. Moreover, to me the idea of being present means to actively listen to what students are saying (what their interests and goals are), which I find to be invaluable to student learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Week 15 - Late Post

    Lisa Bradford's inquiries into human evaluations of life and constructs was meaningful to me. Personally, I believe that these considerations of value are significant for human beings because they allow us to reflect on our affect on the world. Oftentimes I think about the importance of this type of philosophical inquiry and worry that it is not enacted as much as it needs to be. In this way, when I viewed Marco A. Sanchez's work/writings on fantasy and nostalgia it provided some enlightening moments for me. I appreciated how Sanchez's reflections on the content of his work provided insight into his underlying (unconscious) interests. While reading this passage, I began to wonder to what extent the pursuit of one's innate interests is affected by pejorative opinions in the art world. I was also interested to read Sanchez's analysis of his work using the music that he listens to because it seemed to provide insight into the mood and gesture of his work. His being more comfortable within the realm of fantasy also struck me; personally I tend to adhere to rules in order to deal with uncomfortable situations, so I was inspired by his rebellion in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Week 15 - Late Post

    I can definitely relate to Maureen (Moe) Doebbler's fear of failure/rejection. I found her expression that, "I did find love once, but lost it. Not by my choice, but maybe my doing" to be incredibly eloquent. To me, the idea that change cannot occur until truth is uncovered through (self) reflection represents an excruciatingly beautiful life process. Overall, a got a sense of catharsis from this passage that was employed as an agent of change. I thought that the connection to archeology was effective in this sense. Also, I was impressed that she mentioned that she was inspired by her students (I feel that way too), because it indicates that one is looking forward and outwardly, which is also an important part of change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Late posts:
    All of my late posts are posted under the week in which they were due. JUst fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Late Post Week 15
    Post one: Chapter 4

    First of all, there was a note in the introduction to chapter four, which I found inspiriting:
    “We are not interested in the latest format for a lesson plan nor are we interested in the most popular artistic presented at a conference or workshop. One goal is for our students and again for ourselves to take the time to remember what brings personal joy beyond the classroom.”
    I liked this idea. In my art works, I always try to think like this. That forget the most recent artistic trends or the most popular ones, and do what I enjoy, and believe that it is necessary for me. The result is to enjoy my work more and work more genuinely, but I also have become isolated from the art world I think.
    The thing I liked the most about all these three artists, including Lisa, is their genuine desire and joy in what they are doing, and why they are doing those kinds of works. I think this is a valuable path, though may not be acknowledged by many…
    In particular, I found Lisa’s photographs and idea fantastic. That she is obsessed with the abandon objects and tries to preserve them, in her photos because she sees value in them, maybe “some sort of history.” The photographs she took from buildings are very poetic and nostalgic to me and convey her idea very well.
    Moreover, using i-phone for taking such photos is an interesting move. However, it seemed to me that she used some filter from an app to make the photos look old, darker, and monochromatic. I think if she didn’t use a filter from a software her works could be more direct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late Post Week 15:
      Niloofar, I believe that “personal joy” beyond not only classroom but also any place that limits us is very crucial to survive. Unfortunately, today in this mechanical world where we have learned to follow the same structures and roles and do every day almost similar things we have lost personal joy. How can an artist create art without personal joy and which kind of art can be made by this limitation? I think I will lose my real personality inside the isolated world and I can be only a machine. This is what the students and also myself as an instructor should learn to find our personal delight in our work and help each other to learn and find our own pleasure in our work and world. You also mentioned about the filters that seem she has used in her photos. I think this trick helped her to represent her ideas better and I assume this trick of showing old images of old objects is an interesting point in her work.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Late Post Week 15
    Post 2, Responding to Raha: “Connecting preserved specimens with the old abandoned structures in Lisa’s work happens only through juxtaposition...”


    Raha, I liked what you said about the juxtaposition of the specimens with the building photos. After I read about Lisa, I totally forgot to think about the relation between these two subjects more. Clearly, based on what Liza wrote, the main connection is that both of these two kinds of objects are the things that are abandoned by the society. However, when I think of their relation more, I think there can be even more than that. The combination of old building and the specimen, for me, also represents a kind of destruction by the human. Not only these objects are abandoned, but they might be destroyed by the society. The images reflect a kind of human abuse of their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late Post Week 15:
      Niloofar, you are right. human wants to control and govern anything on the earth. While takes the advantages of them abandon them. The finger print of human is on everything which is destroyed. The preserved species on the images are separated from their own territories and the life they deserve to have and juxtaposition of their images with those abandoned building can imply the ignored lives or destroyed lives.

      Delete
  16. Late Post, Week 15
    Post 3,
    Jason Luce

    It was interesting to hear his working process moving from his interests in animals to more social issues and his concern about his identity and his sexuality. At the end, he manages to integrate his unique interests and make those stories. In his stories, I was fascinated about the relationship between the images and the texts. For me, such relation has been always a fascinating connection, though very challenging. To create text and image in a way that they both are independent while interrelated. I was curious to hear more about the connection between the images and the stories.

    At the end, Jason states that he can be a good candidate for Zoo education through art. It was inspiring for me that he follows his interests and make a unique thing out of it. I think Jason will be a distinct teacher in the field he is interested. Moreover, his teaching idea made me to think one can teach many subjects that seem irrelevant to art, through art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Late Post, Week 15
    post 4
    Respond to Sylvia: “I can definitely relate to Maureen (Moe) Doebbler's fear of failure/rejection…”

    I liked what you emphasize in Moe’s not about self-reflection. After I read her story, I also found her discovery of the self as the most underlying part of the point she was trying to make.

    When I read Moe’s writing, I felt different parts of her stories are a little disconnected from each other, but when I read this sentence the whole parts of her story became connected: “Thus, through my art, I am uncovering my life and my fears…”

    Thus, I agree with Sylvia that self- discovery is what Moe’s story about, to many extend. I, personally this is probably a path that all the artists and teacher should take to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Late Post, Week 14
    Post 3: Congested Beauty by Melissa Mejia`

    I was fascinated by the bus artists of Panama. I always enjoy learning from other culture and their local art. Melissa Mejia’s discovery of the art of her home town was defiantly one of my favorite. I liked what she was trying to say that art and its definition is not only the common Western definition of art. There are amazing artworks around the world that have not been fully appreciated. Finding these artistic movement, I think, can really challenge what we commonly think about art.

    Another interesting part of her story was her obsession with the kind of art that comes from people’s everyday lives. I think, the new theories around popular culture have proved that arts and cultures coming from people’s everyday lives, and not “fine artists,” have their distinct value and reflect important concepts about the lives and experience of people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Late Post, Week 14
    Post 4: Response to David’s post: “Marisa points out that this kind of art is only accepted as such within the culture, though this view is common in my experiences with many cultures…”

    David, I really agree with you. I also think that even though bus paintings may be unique in her hometown, and different from other places, it is not uncommon in other cultures as well. For example, in my home town, Iran, there are artists who paint, or write poems on the buses, trucks, etc. This is like what Melissa narrates about the bus art in Panama. In Iran, these painters are from ordinary people, and their art is deeply related to the everyday lives and experiences of Iranian people. There is defiantly differences between the bus art in Panama, and Iran, but there is also similar elements. For example, in Iran, poetry is a significant part of these artworks. The artist combine images and poems together to pain the buses, trucks, and cars.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Late Post
    Week 11
    Post 1: “…Is anyone noticing a difference in terms of what we are reading here as opposed to our first book? Does it seem different?”

    I think, the first book we read is remarkably different from the second one. The first one was an academic book in which the writer explained different theories, approaches, and artists related to the environmental issues. The second book, has a more poetic and narrative approach to writing. When I was reading the book, I felt I am reading fascinating stories, real stories. Thus, the first difference is the style of writing and research in the first book is different from the second.

    Moreover, the subject matters of the books are different. Indeed, the first book, was about a social issue that humans are dealing with universally. However, the second book was very personal. The artists wrote about their personal stories, and subjective path toward creation.
    I think both books were amazing, in their way. And I liked that we moved from a social issue to very personal stories of artists. As an artist, my works are more connected to the second book. In my art, I mostly engage my very personal and subjective world and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Late Post
    Week 11
    Post 2: Musician and filmmaker Silas Howard describes her story. Her adventures. Her attempts to rise above poverty. Do you notice any similarities in your art or life?

    Silas Howard’s story was impressive. She could move beyond using drugs and living in her fantasy world to living as a successful artist. At the beginning of her story she said: “the first drug I discovered was fantasy.” I defiantly identify with this. When I was a child, I also was struggling with issues that I couldn’t handle to live with. I also started fantasy as a world to live in to be able to be happier and live the life I wanted to live. I gradually gave up fantasizing and day dreaming all the time and become an artist. Art for me like for Silas changed my life.

    I also did some future research on her online and I notice she is a very famous film maker as well and she is also a FTM, or a transgender man. I am not sure if the one I found is the same person, but if it is, these make her story even more impressive, that how she transformed her life to what she wanted to be, even in terms of her gender identity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Late Post
    Week 11
    Post 3, Respond to Sylvia: “…Howard's story is exactly the opposite of that; their friendship provided an encouraging, supportive, and healing environment where nervous energy from a life without substances was collectively turned into a creative practice.”

    After I read the story I also thought about the same thing Sylvia said. That, in the stories of drug abuse, I always heard about the bad friendships that put the young people in such situations. Indeed, I always heard that relationships and friendships play a big role in leading young girls and boys to use drugs. But, here, as Sylvia noted is the opposites. The kind of art that Howard got involved is also social and could be done only within a group. It was amazing that her friends helped her to find her passion in art, and to build a community of artists to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Late Post
    Week 11
    Post 4, Respond to Sylvia:
    “the way the content was conveyed seemed as though she was acknowledging her experiences (i.e. working through her participation in the relationship/arguments and self-reconciliation thereof)… a self-dialogue that demonstrated a kindness towards oneself with an ultimate goal of accountability and increased resilience.”

    Sylvia pointed to a fascinating thing in Blackman’s story: “a self-dialogue.” After I read Sylvia’s post I thought that all the words Blackman was telling herself were valuable in her self-awareness and re-evaluating her life experiences. Moreover, such words, build her artistic expression and subject matter. Blackman, like other artists in this book, pushed her contemplations about her traumas into works of art and artistic expiration. At the end, Blackman said I loved myself more than him. I think this is a big move for her to realize the abusive situation and try to avoid it in the future. Artistic creation probably helped her to acknowledge values in herself.

    ReplyDelete