Monday, May 8, 2017

Semester Projects: May 11-19

Semester Projects: May 11-19: Post online semester project/comment on classmates' projects.

We will use this space to post ONLY semester projects.  

It is here where I would like for each of you to post your blogger or website address for your final project. It will be here, for example, under each of your posts for your addresses, where we will leave feedback and comments about your project. (I expect everybody to look at everybody's projects.) That way all comments about projects are listed here. 

If you already posted the address for your project on a previous week, but please repost it here, so we can comment under this week. I want to keep all of the comments about projects together under this week.

I can't wait to see what everybody posts. Email me with any questions.

I will be actively posting on this week as you add addresses. Make sure you comment on everybody's project as I will be keeping track of posts. 

Thank you. Ed Check

44 comments:

  1. Just list your project address here. We will all post comments to you about your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay...So I think I figured out how to make the PDF visible without having to input emails. At any rate, you should be able to view my artist's book using this link:

      http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1290995

      Thanks all for your patience!

      Delete
    2. I couldn't pull up your info either by your name or the number at the end of your link in magcloud. Is there something I am doing wrong, most likely.

      Delete
    3. It worked for me no problem. One of my favorite lines that make me really start rereading it over and over again was "Why be broke ew... when you can have brunch" This was a stunning trip of imagery and contemplation. I enjoyed passing it over and over thinking about how different people may interpret images and the messages being stated. There is a very intelligent use of typography, composition, and color that drives a sense of wonder. I must say that the line "let it go... you deserve a sacrifice" is really sticking with me. The idea of 'deserving' here is intriguing as the potential interpretation of and earned accomplishment status versus a karma resulting justs desserts. I think this is a fantastic book that I know in hand would breathe even more. I also see how it could strongly work as video much like the format of Mr. Brainwash's Life Remote Control. Of course obviously yours would have much more substance and thought and serve a greater purpose. I would just love to know what it would be like to "hear" the shifts from page to page as I imagine some of the stark juxtapositions that would occur. Excellent book though and I hope you print some for yourself for sure.

      Delete
    4. I found myself staring at the image of the poultry with the words uncomfortable and comfortable. What resonated in my mind was how we put so much thought in how we look in our own skin, how we detest our own skin to the point of bleaching or botching our bodies for the sake of false comfort. I believe finding that comfort spot takes true collections of one's self and not so consumed with the outside world. It was an awesome collection, and thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    5. Sylvia,
      I have seen another book from you before, and I have always been fascinated by the way you integrate image, words, and the sequence of them to create narrative and concept.
      It is also very interesting that the pictures you use mostly come from ordinary imagery and popular culture. Such use of images and some of the words give a deep irony to your work.
      I am eager to know more about the way you choose the images and about the connection you make between the picture and the words.

      Delete
    6. I was lucky to get a copy of the book in my mailbox; and I looked at it online. Nice juxtapositions. Like Niloofar commented, ordinary images, deep ironies, playing with entitlements and privileges...nice work. Ed

      Delete
    7. really like how your images and text vaccinate between dualistic and ironic representations. Some are startlingly direct and others are more neutral, permitting the viewer to masker their own conclusions. Your layout is impeccable, and i appreciate your being drawn to formalist elements. A lot of conceptual art missed that, to its detriment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is my blog address:
    https://scarsofthegarden.wordpress.com/
    This has been exciting as I am exploring new ways of displaying works that are combinations of written and visual work. I am planning many more posts ahead and have learned some hard lessons on post schedulers. This project more than anything has taught me to start looking at things from perspectives I had ignored because of my bias tendencies of observation. I have successfully posted everything from my previous phone and am not working on the next leg of images and content. Not only do I still have content to finish up and post but there is also new things happening each week that is adding to an endless list. This will sure not end anytime soon and I am already building a natural following. I can't wait to see what you guys think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is quite moving. I really got a sense of calm and reflection as I looked through it and read your posts. I thought the graphic (or is it illustrative?) treatment of your photographs worked well with the theme overall, which I read as the personal narrative within larger social/environmental constructs. Reflection seemed to lend itself to deeper appreciation. Cool project!

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem with your blog address, I tried to copy and paste your blog address and pull up your info and I couldn't find it, I'm wondering if my browser has anything to do with it?

      Delete
    3. Where are you pasting it? You shouldn't have to search for either of our links as they are just website addresses. If you copy just the text link with no spaces around it and paste it by itself in the address bar and hit enter the both are appearing on multiple devices, browsers, and operating systems I have tested. I am going to send you an email with the links so you can access them easier and we can ensure if it is some weird browser problem.

      Delete
    4. I sent you the email Kelly and anyone else who needs the links emailed to them let me know and I can easily send them your way as well.

      Delete
    5. Thank you Marc for sending me the links thru my ttu, I enjoyed reading about your class and your use of space. I liked the point you made in the misuse of neglected space. I also enjoyed the colors and format you used it made for an enjoyable project, thanks again for sharing.

      Delete
    6. Thank you Marc for sharing your project with us. One of my dreams is having a garden to plant my favorite flowers and plants. I like your idea of the reflected character who talk to you about signs and colors. The thing that I found on your project what you paid attention to it, is vulnerability that I think it is an important point about plants and art.

      Delete
    7. Marc, I really liked your garden and the moment you shared to us. I made me to think how one can experience the nature from his or her house and work for environment from there.

      Delete
    8. Nice documentation and blog. It has a comic/documentary feel to it. almost ghostly to me--I can't explain. a nice blend of the personal and social. Gardens are always calming to me...thanks for sharing. Nice project.

      Delete
    9. Yours was bittersweet post for me because I know every plant and tree in my garden, plus where the different birds, cats, raccoons, and squirrels like to hide. It was so great to see you "find" your garden and share it.

      Here's what really got to me: as you found your garden, I may be saying goodbye to mine which is almost an acre in size. Five fracking wells are being built within 2 miles of my home of 30 years. I have huge concerns about this and the unstoppable greed behind this madness. I am trying to emotionally disconnect from the sanctuary I have made because I don't think I can be around this senseless rape of the Earth. Selling my home of 30 years was never supposed to be driven by the despoiling of the agricultural land around me.

      Delete
  4. Here is the link of my audio track:
    https://youtu.be/8mQRK0BZPuE
    This is about the similarities of women and earth. Unfortunately, the quality of the audio track is not good enough here in Youtube and some details of the sounds are lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raha, I liked the metaphor you created between the voice of woman and earth. Using voice, as the medium of your artwork is also interesting. I remember that in some of your post you talked about the sound of nature and that the environmental destruction is also reflected in sounds. This sound piece helped me to understand some of your ideas better.

      Delete
    2. Raha, this was an interesting soundscape. The progression seemed to demonstrate a kind of flux that was representative of different intensities. These intensities seemed to engage the themes of nature and civilization through layering in an effective way.

      Delete
    3. Very much so like an opera in a sense that portrays the duality in converse to create a voice in unison. Very interesting.

      Delete
    4. Raha, loved it. Nice connection in your title. I miss the slow rains of the Midwest. Have no idea how you framed or thought this out--as sound is so three-dimensional--and everywhere. I loved listening to it. Very relaxing and purposeful--a right amount of vices and sound. Lovely.

      Delete
    5. ...and now just listened to the ending. Reminded me of a BBC movie I watched titled Their Finest. It's about WWII at the beginning of the war in England. Wars are everywhere and continue. Interesting touch for the closure of your piece--reflecting millions realities.

      Delete
    6. The sounds resonated multiple emotions, It was so tranquil but towards the end it took me to a darker place. All in all it was very well made, and I appreciated listening to it all, it was a treat for my ears thank you.

      Delete
    7. I love sounds and music combined. The transition you made from a matriarchal world to a patriarchal and noisy world really emphasizes the way women, more than men, are connected to the natural world.

      Delete
  5. Here is the link of my video, Through My Window,:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAyEFIhRE4&feature=youtu.be

    The video is a short simple video that shows the scene I stand and look at everyday, since 2 years ago. Throughout the day, I stay there and look at the trees and building in front of my for several minutes. Many times I don't think about anything, just look and listen. It can be like a meditation for me. Sometimes, I stand there and think...about my past, my memories, my feelings, my friends and so on.
    Although I took many photos to capture the space in which I live, as a kind of "self-portrait" I came to this conclusion that this place is the best place to represent myself and my mood these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nioofar,
      I really liked this piece. I thought the juxtaposition between the banality of the scene outside the window and the dramatic moments from the piano playing created a beautifully eerie sensation. I also liked the pacing of video a lot; I liked how the image appeared and lingered or was only briefly exhibited, and also how the image disappeared as a transition and sometimes reappeared after a pause.

      Delete
    2. I believe I agree with Sylvia that the juxtaposition of sound and site illustrate something incredible. I believe there is an interesting intentional miscommunication present that clearly means something deep to you as defined self-portrait however we may only piece assumptions and jump to conclusions from our own bias natures. Great job.

      Delete
    3. Nice connection between sound and site, like Marc said. Also was fascinated with your comment: "Although I took many photos to capture the space in which I live, as a kind of "self-portrait" I came to this conclusion that this place is the best place to represent myself and my mood these days." Very functional and successful. A meditation of your everyday. And "your mood." Lovely piece.

      Delete
    4. In the beginning your project took me back to the weekends and summers I spent as a child on my grandparents farm. Then it yanks me back to the hustle and bustle of the city. I start to imagine loud mufflers to giant vehicles that only transport one person. I liked this project because it reminds me of two different realms of the world. I enjoyed it, thank you so much.

      Delete
    5. I was expecting a very different "portrait" from our class blog. This was a surprising and unexpected effort. The midway switch to black and white imagery has me intrigued. At first I was concerned that you were expressing despair, but there was a different kind of peacefulness in the monochromatic imagery.

      Delete
  6. David Mesplé has a Blogger address now so you can see my Final Project (well, soon I hope. I still have to use my wife's computer because my laptop is the property of the college I teach at and I am prevented from setting up Blogger with anything but that college's gmail address. And then I am prohibited from using Blogger. Kinda crazy?

    Anyway, my Blogger address is dmesple@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All, it's dmesple.blogspot.com A period (.), not the @ sign

      Delete
    2. David, great project and text qualifying your thoughts and decisions. Lots to deal with. Wow. You and everybody, it was great having you in class. Thanks for your openness and willingness to say what was on your minds. Ed

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UwhII_aZjXSkc3aVVxRnkwVjA/view?usp=sharing

    The link above is the document explaining my project. You can see the actual images of my project by clicking the link of my name next to my avatar on this web page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really related to your project, even more this week than previously. Our oldest son has been fighting a terminal kidney disease and we learned at the end of our course that he will be put on the Donor List for s kidney transplant. This has shaken us to our core because we held out hope for improvement, but his kidney function has dropped to 22%. He's 38 and has 3 small children that we help care for.

      Delete